Rhinoplasty, also know as cosmetic nose surgery or nose job, is among the most common plastic surgery procedures performed and is one of Dr. Jason Roostaeian’s specialties. His expert precision and attention to detail achieves amazing, natural rhinoplasty results. Finally have a nose that suits your natural beauty and enhances your appearance.
Rhinoplasty Surgery Facts
+ Length Of Rhinoplasty Surgery: Usually 2-4 hours.
+ Anesthesia: Typically general anesthesia. Local anesthesia with IV sedation is also possible.
+ Length Of Stay: Outpatient (You are able to go home a few hours after your UCLA surgery).
+ Recovery: Initial mild to moderate discomfort with one day of bed rest. You should stay minimally active for a few days; bruising gone in several weeks with some swelling. You may return to work in 7-10 days but avoid any strenuous activities for at least 14 days.
+ Rhinoplasty Scars: No external scars with a closed procedure. Tiny, inconspicuous scar between nostrils, often virtually invisible, with open procedure.
+ Risks/Possible Complications: Serious complications, while possible, are unlikely. Some potential complications can be avoided by carefully following instructions. In addition to the usual risks associated with anesthesia, other risks include: Severe bleeding (occurs in less than two percent), Infection, Sinusitis (usually caused by internal swelling and can be treated with medication), nasal breathing obstruction, graft/implant migration.
Before & After Rhinoplasty Photos
Top Rhinoplasty Questions
1. Am I a good candidate for rhinoplasty? The best candidates are in good health, over the age of 16, non-smokers, and are able to avoid blood-thinning medications for one to two weeks before and after surgery. They have reasonable complaints with nasal appearance and/or breathing, along with realistic expectations of the result. Those who would like to change the appearance of their nose are seeking an improvement, not perfection. As with most facial procedure, successful surgery is dependent on physical and emotional maturity along with good communication between the doctor and patient.
Common reasons why many consider rhinoplasty:
- Your nose is too large or too small and does not seem to fit with the rest of your face
- Your nose is misshapen, crooked, or misaligned
- You have trouble breathing through your nose
- You have a deformity that has been present since birth that you would like to improve
- You would like improvement, not perfection, in the appearance of your nose
2. What is the recovery time following a Rhinoplasty? While every patient’s recovery from rhinoplasty is unique, in the first week following the procedure you will typically have nasal bandages in place and can expect some bruising around the eyes. The bruising should resolve after a week and can be concealed with make-up. Swelling occurs following your rhinoplasty surgery and can be significant for the first 2 weeks. The swelling slowly subsides thereafter and usually is minimally visible by 6 weeks, although it takes 6 months-year for the swelling to fully subside.
3. How much does rhinoplasty cost? A rhinoplasty may be covered partially or in full by your insurance if you have nasal airway obstruction. Any aesthetic refinements to your nose, however, are not covered by insurance and require additional fees. The exact cost will depend on the complexity of your procedure, and you will receive a written quote following your consultation.
4. How long does the rhinoplasty procedure take? The duration of a rhinoplasty varies greatly depending on the complexity of your procedure. Primary rhinoplasties are typically range from 1.5-3 hours, and average 2 hours. Revision procedures can take longer, particularly when cartilage from the ear or rib is required.
5. How much pain will I have after nose surgery? Many patients find that the pain following a rhinoplasty to be less than they expected. Pain medications are prescribed and should be used as needed to help alleviate any pain that is experienced. Some patients require splints in the nose that can cause nasal obstruction for the first week following surgery until they are removed.
6. How much time off should I take from work/school? A week off from school or work is recommended as the nasal bandages are in place. Most patients are able to work from home or do homework after a few days of rest If your work requires significant physical activity you want to wait at least 14 days to prevent any increases in your blood pressure that can lead to bleeding while your nose is still in the early stages of healing.
7. How soon can I workout after a rhinoplasty surgery? For the first 2 weeks you want to avoid getting your blood pressure or heart rate elevated with any strenuous activity as it can cause bleeding. After 2 weeks you can gradually begin an exercise regimen and increase your regimen as tolerated. You want to avoid any activities that require sudden movements of the head or that can allow any inadvertent contact with your nose. In addition, movements that require putting you face down or below the level of your heart can worsen your swelling and prolong your recovery period.
8. What are the surgical options for rhinoplasty? I’ve heard of open versus closed. Closed rhinoplasty signifies that all incisions are concealed on the inside of the nose. Open rhinoplasty also includes a very small incision across the skin that separates your nostrils called the columella. The resultant scar is virtually imperceptible once fully healed. The open approach affords your surgeon better exposure to the nasal anatomy, and in particular to the nasal tip. The decision to perform your rhinoplasty open or closed all depends on what your individual needs and goals are. During your consultation, Dr Jason will be able to advise you on the best option for your particular needs.
UCLA Rhinoplasty Consultation
If you are considering getting rhinoplasty, please come in for a consultation with Dr. Jason at UCLA. Click here to book a consultation or call 310.825.8827.
At your consultation Dr. Jason will listen closely to what you are interested in and what type of look you are trying achieve. Dr Jason specializes in natural looking rhinoplasty results and will take measurements and guide you through your options. You will have the opportunity to thoroughly review his earlier work and see whether his results are what you are looking for.